Saturday, April 23, 2011

R.Rick Moos Honored at LA Watts Summer Games Fundraiser



Story by L.T. Willis



R.Rick Moos one of the original co-founders of the Watts Summer Games
was honored at The Los Angeles Champions Ball Cocktail Soiree and
Fundraiser benefiting the LA Watts Summer Games.Photo by
Eric Wade EW/Gems Images.



I thought the greatest moment of my life was when i meet Jerry West at the 2011 L.A.Watts Summer Games until i met Rick Moos at the Los Angeles Champions Ball Cocktail Soiree Fundraiser at The Stone Rose Lounge at The Hotel Sofitel in Los Angeles. Rick Moos took time to share with me about being part of the Los Angeles Jr Chambers  back in 1968 and the civil unrest that Afro Americans and others were going thru. As Rick was talking to me my mind was listening to him as drifted back to the times he was talking about as a kid i lived on 83rd street and Broadway. I remember that Black Panther  head quarters  was just around the corner from where my family and i went to church at Solid  Rock Baptist Church. I remember the national guard chasing people thru are yard and my mother telling my brother and me to get down. Rick Moos and other members of the chambers were tired of nothing being done to ease the tension so they came up with ideal of making a difference by reaching the youth and the Watts Summer games were created. What a difference 44 years make for the Watts Summer Games now call The L.A.Watts Summer games have made a big difference in so many lives of youths, coaches and communities. Hearing the passion and love in his voice he has  for young people  was the reason he was being honor at the event.


Rick Moos and his family attending The Los Angeles Champions Ball
Fundraiser for The LA Watts Summer Games.Photo by Eric Wade
EW/Gems Images.
 


Meeting Rick Moos at the fundraiser that night really let me know how much people really care about the changes that were going on back in 1968 as this event has change my life and many more people like myself  to be involve in the L.A.Watts Summer Games.Rick Moss also is part owner of The Lobster House located in Santa Monica and the food is really great. If you would like to be part of the 2011 L.A.Watts Summer Games you can go to Los Angeles Jr.Chambers website at http://www.lajcc.org/. Here is video coverage of this great event.


No comments:

Post a Comment